St. Andrew’s United Church
The Council of St. Andrew’s United Church approves this policy to give direction to the pastoral practice of the minister and to provide information to those who may seek a marriage service at this church. The Marriage Service is both a service of faith and a civil ceremony.
- Eligibility: Couples who may legally be married according to the laws of Alberta may apply to the minister of this church for the conduct of a Service of Christian Marriage. The minister does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income, family status, or sexual orientation.” (Alberta Human Rights Act, 2010)
- Expectations: It is our expectation that one of the partners to a Marriage Service shall be Christian. Where one of the partners to the marriage is of a faith other than Christian, the service will seek to accommodate and affirm that faith as well.
- Notice: The normal expectation is that couples seeking marriage shall be in contact with the minister at least 90 days in advance.
- Marriage Preparation: Couples shall provide to the minister evidence of having completed the Chinook Winds Region marriage preparation course which is currently hosted at Knox United Church in Calgary [www.kxcalgary.com\weddings], or have completed a course of study directed by the minister.
- Location: The minister may, at her or his discretion, agree to conduct a Service of Christian Marriage in a location other than the church.
- Other Ministers:
- If the minister of St. Andrew’s United Church is not available to conduct a wedding service, the church will arrange for another United Church minister to officiate.
- If a couple wishes another minister of The United Church of Canada to assist or officiate, that arrangement may be made in consultation with the minister of St. Andrew’s United Church.
- If an Interfaith couple wishes to honor both faiths, that arrangement may be made in consultation with the minister of St. Andrew’s United Church.
- Ministers of other denominations will not be allowed to conduct weddings at St. Andrew’s United Church.
- Marriage Commissioners are not permitted to conduct weddings at St. Andrew’s United Church.
- Authority: The decision to conduct or decline to conduct a Marriage Ceremony for an applicant couple resides with the Minister. The teaching of the church is that “God’s intention for all human relationships is that they be faithful, responsible, just, loving, health-giving, healing, and sustaining of community and self”.
The minister will work in collaboration with the couple to create a service that honors the couple’s relationship, but the final authority over all the elements of the ceremony rests with the minister.
- Fees: The Council of St. Andrew’s United Church sets service fees for weddings. Such fees will cover the cost of honoraria to the minister, pianist, custodian, use of the church premises and all required documentation.
Completed January 2020